Home » Prospective Students » Accommodation in and Around Campus

Accommodation in and Around Campus


On Campus Accommodation

The Department of Student Welfare is responsible over accommodation matters at UB. Most of the information on accommodation processes can be found in the Accommodation manual. The halls of residence at UB are divided into undergraduate and graduate halls of residence, with the latter housing only undergraduates and the former dedicated to graduate students.  The capacity for the halls of residence is 4130 beds for undergraduates and 240 beds for graduates. The main difference between the two is that graduate halls have self-catering facilities while the undergraduate students are expected to eat from the cafeterias on campus. Student Welfare will continue to come up with housing strategies in line with trends and needs.

Student Welfare offers accommodation to full-time UB registered students. Although there are a few single rooms, most undergraduate rooms are allocated on a sharing basis of 2 students per room and Graduate rooms are apartments of single rooms with a shared lounge. In all the residences, students share other facilities such as common rooms (with TV) and bathrooms.

A criteria is used for processing requests for accommodation as in most cases the demand exceeds the available spaces. Familiarity with the Accommodation procedure and Accommodation Manual is critical. In line with the First year experience policy, priority is given to new students and those coming from faraway places including international students. Accommodation can also be offered to none students where there are vacancies.  There are instances were special consideration is given to the allocation of accommodation, particularly to some students on medical grounds, disability status, etc.

Accommodation Application Period

New and First Year Students
Prospective students need to apply for accommodation as soon as they receive their admission letters.  The accommodation application form is sent to you together with the academic admission offer letters. This usually happens in March to April of every year.

Returning Students
Application forms for returning students are provided by the Student Welfare Office, usually in March for the First Semester and November for the Second Semester.

International Students
The student accommodation service has a dedicated member of staff to help international students with all accommodation related issues.  The officer is located in the Office of International Education and Partnership (OIEP). International Student's should feel free to direct their questions and concerns both before and during their time at UB to that office.  Accommodation is always available for international students as long as applications are received well on time. Contact International Student's Office at +[267] 355 5145.




Students with disability challenges

The students are catered for under the Disabilities Support Services Department located in block 115. Contacts: + (267) 355 2545

Fees for accommodation

This can be checked on the annual UB calendar.

For more information on Accommocation, click here for relevant documents.


Contact Details :
4775 Notwane Rd. Gaborone, Botswana Private Bag UB 0022. Tel: +(267) 355 0000 Gaborone, Botswana