Question 1. Are there any social events in the Department?

OIEP works   collaboratively with other UB Departments on excursions and Cultural Diversity programmes for international students to appreciate the diversity of campus life and the culture of Batswana.

Question 2. Is there anything I should read before my travel to Botswana?

You will be sent a welcome letter from OIEP via email as soon as your application has been received and assessed. This letter would carry further information of what is required of you as a new international student. If you are coming through a study abroad provider consult with it about your admission.

Question 3. When will the examinations be held and when will the examination timetable be available?

Examinations are held at the end of every Semester. The examination timetable, which is scheduled by the Academic Services Examinations Office not the OIEP, is normally published according to the University Almanac.

Question 4. Do students usually work to support themselves while studying, and what paid jobs are available within the School. Also, are internships arranged by the Department?

Some part-time work such as student assistantships is available only on campus because employment off campus will require a work permit for all non-citizens. However, as it is important not to over-commit yourself, you may find it helpful to ask UB departments such as the Library and your hall of residence if there are any assistantships. OIEP does not arrange internships.  If you plan to do assistantship it is advisable to speak to your academic adviser beforehand to ensure that the time commitment involved will be compatible with your studies.

Question 5. Can I tape lectures and access lecture notes?

The recording of lectures requires prior consent of the lecturers, who may also distribute lecture notes and slides at their own discretion.  Departments make reasonable adjustments for the needs of students with disabilities.

Question 6. How many hours a week are given for lectures and classes/seminars?

For each examinable course that you will be taking, the normal set-up is 1 hour to a credit such that a 3 credit course would meet for 3 hours per week. Sometimes you will also be advised by the Course Coordinator to attend tutorials, or coaching seminars. Details of the teaching arrangements for individual courses can be found in the relevant undergraduate calendars covering synopsis and lecture hours as appropriate.

Question 7. What study skills support is provided by the University?

The University offers a range of study support facilities, via the Library, IT Services, Communication and Study Skills Unit (CSSU). CSSU sometimes runs scheduled workshops on research along with other relevant departments within UB like the Office of Research and Development. They also offer individualised writing clinics.

Question 8. When will I be given access to email. Can I access reading lists before the session begins?

All students are assigned a student email address which they are free to access once they are registered. But a number of  buildings  on campus have wireless access  for individuals who have laptop and android phones to access internet and their email at their convenience. Access to reading lists is usually  provided as part of the syllabus given by lectures at the beginning of the semester.  Same courses are available through WebCT, and for such students enrolled in those areas get access to them.

Question 9. Is there any formal representation of students within the University?

There is the Student Representative Council and other international students’ clubs These associations are registered under the Student Representative Council. Through this organs students are represented in various administrative structures.  There is also the Graduate Students Association that addresses the needs of graduate students.

Question 10. When is the orientation meeting. Is it important to attend?

OIEP holds orientation meetings for new International Students twice in an academic year, a week before the start of classes. The dates will be communicated in your letter of admission.

It is important that you attend the orientation Programme as it would familiarise you with the structure and set up of the university.

Question 11. Where is the Office of International Education and Partnerships located?

The OIEP is located in the Student Centre Building Block 139, Offices 127. It is next to the Student Welfare Office which is in charge of accommodation and the Academic Services Department.

Contact Details :
Student Centre Building, Block 139, Office 127